History of True Access Capital
In response to growing concerns over poverty in the City of Wilmington, Delaware, the Episcopal General Convention called for the church and the Delaware community to support a new community economic initiative. A diverse collection of community members came together to form True Access Capital in 1992. Their goal was to use proven business strategies in new and innovative ways, providing loans and sound business advice to community-based organizations and entrepreneurs in low-income communities throughout Delaware. Since its incorporation in 1992, True Access Capital has disbursed nearly $27 million to over 1100 small businesses and community organizations.
In 2011, True Access Capital expanded beyond the borders of Delaware and is now lending and providing technical assistance to businesses located in southeastern Pennsylvania. In 2014, True Access Capital narrowed its focus to primarily support small business growth and development.
True Access Capital is a not-for-profit, federally certified, Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) that supports small businesses and community development projects. As a CDFI, True Access Capital is required to provide at least 60% of its lending and technical assistance activity to underserved populations. True Access Capital defines underserved populations as those that include women and minority led companies; low-income borrowers; businesses and other organizations that serve low-income populations; or businesses or organizations that are located in low-income communities.
The mission of True Access Capital is to educate, empower, and elevate business owners, and entrepreneurs, by augmenting technical expertise, increasing access to capital and stimulating business growth throughout Delaware and southeastern Pennsylvania.